Thursday, September 15, 2011

When We Assume

After writing yesterday's post I have been thinking lots about this bad habit I have developed called 'Assuming.'

Here's why it's BAD....

1. I usually assume THE WORST...this does nothing to help create a peaceful mind focussed on ...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. (Philippians 4:8) And it means I am thinking the worst of others. And usually, that 'others' is a man who has a heart of gold and loves me lots. How unfair to him!

2. I usually assume WRONGLY...and in being wrong I create angst when there has been reason for it and I have to apologise because I have thought badly of people for absolutely no reason. And usually in my 'mode of angst' I have been short-tempered, cranky and snappy....oh great! More things to apologise for.

3. I fill valuable HEAD SPACE with RUBBISH.....as girls we have enough buzzing around in our heads without adding junk to the mix.

4. By making assumptions, I am saying "I KNOW EVERYTHING" which is living a lie and creating an ugly, oversized ego. Who wants to live with that?

So...rather than assuming, and thereby creating a 'yucky me', I hereby declare that henceforth, I will try very hard to "Never assume anything.' (Especially when it comes to my wonderful husband.)


BTW...I must also try very hard not to assume the worst when my Mum says.. "Kirsty......." (with a downwards inflection and long pause.....)

2 comments:

  1. Hey K,
    I'll try not to assume anything when Mum uses "the voice" too!
    Love you and I reckon sometimes you're just a bit too hard on yourself you know. Or maybe I'm not hard enough on my poor attitudes???
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assumicide... it is a killer! Great reminder to seek truth. Thanks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)