Tuesday, September 27, 2011

PR

Personal Responsibility....or the lack of it... is one of my bug bears.

I walk a 3km circuit around our block almost every day and I shake my head at the amount of dog poop on the footpath. It amazes me that someone would walk their dog in a public place, let it deposit its business on a very well-used walk way and leave it there. It's your dog, therefore, it's your poop people! Please pick it up!

Yes I can sure get on my high horse about PR....I do to the teenagers I teach...I do to my husband about all sorts of things...I do to just about anyone who will listen. "I don't understand some people," I moan and groan. "Why don't they just take care of what's their's to take care of?"

Well as logical as my thoughts and questions may be, I was challenged in this in the past couple of days. Instead of always looking to point the finger at someone else's failure to be personally responsible, I faced a situation where I totally let go of PR. In fact, I totally lost it...'it' being self-control...my brain....my cool....anything that looked like sense. I won't go into the details, but it did involve a kitchen utensil and a baked item.


It was not pretty and I am not proud of my display. In hindsight, I can certainly think of at least 3 good reasons for my 'unhinged' moment. Yes it's true, it's always so easy to cast blame elsewhere rather than take PR.

But in a lucid moment in the midst of my carry-on with the baked item and kitchen utensil, I distinctly remember thinking, "What I am doing is stupid...just get a grip woman!" But I didn't....why is that?

Anyway....my thoughts are still on this issue and despite seeking forgiveness of those involved - namely God, J and my sister - I am still embarrassed and more than a little disappointed in myself.

However, I have been prompted to see that my criticism of others shirking what I see as their PR may simply be smug self-righteousness. And instead of looking so long and hard at what others are doing, perhaps I should concentrate more on what is happening a whole lot closer to home?

1 comment:

  1. Sigh... I hear ya. I hate learning about my dark side whilst in the middle of seeing everyone else as plonkers. Sucks. I hope you can forgive yourself, learn the lesson and move on soon. Poor chook.

    ReplyDelete

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)