Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sport's Nut

Last night on Facebook I posted my heart's desire for the weekend....I don't want for much. Just victories in the football finals for the Titans...Saint Kilda....and St George Dragons. Okay...so perhaps my focus in September is somewhat clouded by the bedazzling array of sporting broadcasts....V8s last weekend, a so-close Wallabies win the weekend before, Comm. Games coming (we hope)....and of course footy finals galore.

Anyway, Game #1 of 3 is done and my team....lost - big time! Drat. That was definitely not the result I hoped for and along with every other Qld rugby league fan, I am disappointed that there will be no north-of-the-border team in next week's Grand Final. And truth be told, there's a good chance my other 2 tips for the weekend will also bow out losers.


So what does all this have to do with God? Well I am just reminded...as I have been repeatedly throughout the year as I have watched Casey Stoner crash out of races....Mark Webber total his car.....Jamie Whincup's Vs develop an oil leak just a few laps from a podium place....the Lions and Broncos fail to make the Top 8 for a final's berth....and the Australian men's swimming team's failure to fire at the Pan Pacs...that I cannot put my hope in man. Why would I rely on humans, be they sports people, politicians, singers, pastors, actors or others to be my source of joy, of purpose and value, of contentment. As humans, they disappoint, because they lose and they fail, they make mistakes and get it wrong....just like me. 

But more than that, they cannot offer what my God does. Check out Psalm 103 to see a list of His wonderful 'benefits.' No man, no matter how famous, wealthy, popular, talented can come close to blessing and fulfilling me the way the God of the Universe can.

Who else can and does and has"....redeemed my life from the pit?...crowns me with love and compassion?......forgives and heals?....satisfies?...works righteousness and justice?...not treat us as our sins deserve?.....amazing love and compassion for us?"

Wow! That list in Psalm 103 is better than any team's line-up for the big game and any driver's result in the Championship. It makes me want to do as verses 21-22 tell me to do (4 times!)...PRAISE HIM! Now that is a real heart's desire.


PS 2 challenges with this post...
1. Please pray for my friends Mr n Mrs B and their baby. Having a rough time right now and needing help, healing, peace.
2. Anyone else want to join me in memorizing Ps 103?? It's a challenge I have set for myself...any takers?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kirsty,

    Am enjoying reading your blog comments. Just took a look at Psalm 103 - What a great Psalm!!! I don't know how I'd go at memorising 22 verses but there's some powerful words in there. How long do you think it will take you to learn? Are you going to try to add a new verse each day, or week or something else?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of a daily thing Linda....but with my brain the way it is...we'll see. What I should do is see if there is a musical/song version by Sons of Korah or Colin...maybe singing it would stick in our heads better:) I'll Google it right now. Hope you get to go on holidays still:) Lots of time to relax and learn a Psalm!

    ReplyDelete

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)