Thursday, February 17, 2011

Friday Away

Ok...so it's only Thursday. But......we'll be out of town tomorrow and I wanted to leave you with a few thoughts for the weekend. Not my original thoughts, but some good ones nevertheless.

I think this article by blogger Joshua Becker, about the voices we hear, speaks volumes...ha ha - so punny K! This week I have been reminded of how much we hear and not all of it good, from so many sources.

A friend received an email that shook her.....I could feel my blood pressure rising as I watched the news 2 nights ago.....Jake listened to and followed really bad advice from his brother on 'Rafters' this week....someone criticised my sister in a public forum.....Facebook reveals things about people that I just don't want to know....the teens I teach read and watch all sorts of scary books and TV shows.....VOICES!

We need to be wise and discerning when it comes to what and who we listen to and Joshua's checklist is something we as adults should keep in mind for ourselves. But it's also an essential that we teach our children and/or students. (I'm planning on using the article to start a discussion lead into a lesson on what God says about us with one of classes at school....should provide an interesting contrast to what the world says.)

So much of who we think we are and what we think of ourselves comes from others' voices. Wouldn't we do well to think about who we are listening too and then consider if they are worth hearing from?

See the checklist HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)