Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Last Words



They are not just idle words for you--they are your life. (Deut. 32:47)


In Deuteronomy 32, Moses presents his final thoughts to the people of Israel before he goes up the mountain to die. Final words....if I knew I was about to die, what would I want to say? I am sure I wouldn't be telling a 'knock knock' joke.....or singing a Top 20 hit.....or running through a list of all that I don't like about myself.


I hope I would be surrounded by those I love and have words of encouragement and thankfulness pouring from my mouth. I hope words of anticipation of eternity in heaven would be spoken as well.


Needless to say, we'd all - if we knew it was to be our last conversation - make those words count. We'd say what was true and real and important.


As Deuteronomy 32 draws to a close, Moses has just finished a long song about the story of God and His people. He has reminded the Israelites of God's greatness and His goodness to them. He has reminded Israel that their response to God's faithfulness has not been good enough. And he has reminded them of what is the most important....


God's word(s). Not a work of fiction or a fairytale. Not idle words said for the sake of Him hearing His own voice. Not words to be ignored. Or forgotten. 


No! God's words are words of life. And if we are a follower of Jesus, God's words ARE our life. They are what we must know and live. What we must meditate on and follow. They are the foundation of our beliefs and values and they drive our thoughts, behaviours, attitudes. They are what challenge us and bring us hope. They guide and direct and they bring wisdom. They comfort and inspire. They strengthen and fill us with joy and peace.


Please, after reading this post....open your Bible (or use an online version @ BibleGateway or Blue Letter Bible) and read His word for yourself. Perhaps you'd like to read Deuteronomy 32 and see for yourself why Moses called his song 'your life'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)