Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Where's David?



The Psalms...you gotta love 'em.
150 chapters of David pouring out his heart to God.
Every human emotion expressed - joy, gratitude, despair, desperation, devotion, anger, sorrow, love, adoration, fear, anxiety................
It's almost like Psalms is in the Bible as a permission letter for us to do the same in our own relationship with God.
So....how are you going with that?
Are you:
spending time talking to God each day?
walking moment by moment with Him?
expecting to hear from Him?
taking the time to stop! and listen?
being honest with God?
praising? worshipping? thanking Him?
asking? pleading? presenting each situation to Him?

David did all those things...and more. And he was considered by God Himself to be 'a man after my own heart.' Wouldn't you like that said of you? Imagine God looking at you, turning to the angels and with a wide, joyful grin declaring: "See (insert your name here!) down there? S/he's a wo/man after my own heart." It's my desire that God would think and say such things about me, but I need to give Him reason too.

I read Psalm 142 as part of my Year Thru the Bible readings today. It reminded me of a number of things, lessons that I have learned already but needed to recall....

  • I have a great life! David wrote this Psalm when he was hiding out in a cave because his best friend's Dad - the king (and the one he had faithfully served for years!) was out to kill him. No such worries for me.
  • I need to be so thankful and express gratitude to all those who help make my life great. David cried out to God in pain, desperation, fear and need. There will be times when I do the same, but so often I am ever-so quick to acknowledge God and ask for help when times are tough, but when they are good, I forget to say 'thank-you' to Him. I also need to express deep and frequent gratitude and appreciation to my husband, son, family, friends and others who bless me. I know the blessing of a timely and sincere word of thanks...so how about I return the favour....often?
  • There is nothing I will ever face that can separate me from God's love and presence. Here's David, in a smelly, dark cave and far from those he loves. He is being pursued by evil men and feels threatened, imprisoned, troubled. Yet he knows God is there and has the answers to his dilemma. 
  • Even in the darkest times or most dreadful moments of life, there is hope. For David, the cave was not the end of the story. He ends up in a palace. David acknowledged God could and would rescue and free him...protect and provide.....strengthen and guide.....save and restore. God is still about the same business today.....only this time, He's working on behalf of you and I.

There you go....a few thoughts triggered from writing that is thousands of years old, yet still so relevant to us today.

The Psalms....you gotta love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)