Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Just Breathe


Yesterday I posted about the gifts we have been given by God, highlighting creation...commands....peace...the Holy Spirit.

Today I wanted to flash back to my uni days (oh...so long ago) to revisit a key teaching I had on the Holy Spirit. A key teaching that revolutionises lives.

Having grown up in a fairly conservative church tradition, I don't recall many sermons on the Holy Spirit. In fact, I mostly referred to Him as an 'it.'

But when I went to uni I got involved with Christian group Student Life and there, I was taught about the HS and how He was the key to living the Christian life - empowered and successfully.

Simply put, living with the Spirit is like spiritual breathing. Here's how it works.....

When we physically breathe, we exhale carbon dioxide. It's potentially dangerous stuff. When we spiritually breathe, we confess our sin. Sin IS dangerous stuff. We tell God where we've gone wrong and we ask for His forgiveness.

When we physically breathe, we inhale oxygen. O2 is life! When we breathe spiritually, we ask the Holy Spirit to fill us. He is LIFE! We ask Him to empower us to live as God wants us too. We ask Him to guide our thinking and influence our attitudes. We ask Him to direct our behaviour and reveal to us God's will in all things.

Easy hey? He becomes our power source and our personal counsellor...the One who enables us to live the best life we can.

So today...BREATHE!! Breathe deeply and breathe often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)