Monday, November 8, 2010

Meaningless! Really?


Hmmmmm.....if you say something often enough, you'll start to believe it.

So the author of Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament must have truly believed life to be 'meaningless' because he uses that word over and over and over and..... In fact he uses it 37 times in 30 verses and my personal favourite....Ecclesiastes 1: 2 - "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless." (4 times!!!!!!)


Now I think the author is King Solomon, the wisest and richest man in the world. And for him to be so adamant about how meaningless it all is, surprises me. Surely money buys meaning? And if not money, then knowledge...right? Perhaps not.


So while I don't feel I have much of either, I do feel like I have a bit more grip on the non-meaningless of life. I mean, I understand at least some of what makes life meaningful.


For me, it is:

  • Walking with God....spending time in His word, drawing on His wisdom, His peace and strength to do life
  • Thanking Jesus.....there is no life or truth apart from Him....He is the one who paid the price for my freedom from sin and from death. He is the one who gave me life.
  • Listening to the Holy Spirit....as the power source for living this Christian life I am so glad He is a patient and gentle friend to help me along the way.
  • Appreciating family.....hugs and kisses and gifts given to me. Prayers prayed for me and sacrifices made for me. Now it's my turn as I do life with my beloved J and my treasured j.
  • Serving God....through daily worship, helping others and trying to see my world as God sees it, and respond accordingly.
  • Loving friends....people in our lives who provide that light and warmth that we as humans need.

Yes there's more...perhaps you'd like to add a comment to remind me of the ones I missed.


May you know a day today where meaning is stamped all over it. Where you can look beyond the bills, the TV, the traffic, the dirty nappies, the floor that needs vacuuming, the looming Christmas shopping, the chaos around meal times, the long haul of a night spent doing prep work, the pile of laundry, the too-long grass, the ant trail, the overflowing inbox, the sore foot/throat/head/tail....and see Him and the meaningful life He offers, moment by moment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)