Monday, October 18, 2010

Simple Pleasures

We had a lovely weekend away for my Dad's 60th birthday. Drove all the way south to the Sunny Coast for a family get-together on Saturday. What a special day! In thinking about it afterwards, I was reminded how much I have to be thankful for...
there's both BIG things and little things.
And more often than not, it is the little ones that just make life that bit sweeter.

We listened to a podcast on the way home where the author of Pure Pleasure....a new book about Christians and pleasure was interviewed. (Apparently you can download this one for free...see: this website) I was reminded by the author, Gary Thomas, that God has made His creation as a gift for me and when I embrace that and enjoy it, the benefits are two-fold. He is pleased AND I experience greater joy and contentment in life. Mr T said that an understanding and appreciation of pleasure can do 3 things for us:

  • lead to more and deeper and spontaneous worship of God
  • help us appreciate relationships much more
  • protect us from temptation

My weekend certainly prompted the first 2 in me. Below is a list of some of the simple pleasures of the past 62 hours. Once you've read my list, would you add a comment to the post with a few of your simple pleasures of late...and would you take a moment to thank God for them, if you haven't already?

  • calm clear waters of the lake
  • brilliant sunshine 
  • warm days and cool mornings
  • pelicans
  • caring family
  • laughter
  • my sisters
  • Mum making me proud
  • Dad's gratitude
  • cheesecake
  • generous people giving gifts to Jacob
  • Jacob traveling so well
  • casting a fishing rod
  • sitting by a fire
  • posing for family photos
  • a wonderful husband
  • safe travel
  • green grass and brom flowers
  • time to relax on the deck
  • waffles and freezer jam
  • quick wits
  • sparklers
  • family devotions and prayer
  • planning Christmas
  • hugs
  • a 3 year old's version of 'Kirsty'
  • imaginations 
  • kindnesses
  • being able to take the time and have the eyes to see and enjoy these pleasures
Your turn now....

1 comment:

  1. * A husband's prayer for me every morning before he goes off to work, while I'm still snug and warm in bed.

    * Dry crackers and bananas to help combat morning sickness!!

    * My husband's big bathrobe after a nice warm shower.

    * A mother-in-law who tells me that I'm beautiful.

    * A sister-in-law who takes me clothes shopping for winter.

    * The miracle each day that we still have a tiny Swiss/Aussie growing inside me.

    * A husband who delights in my growing body.

    * Big, strong arms that hug me every day.

    * Being able to watch cows and horses enjoying green grass outside my window.

    * Having someone I can learn and grow closer to God with every day!!

    * God and Sandro's strength and forgiveness in my weaknesses.

    * Being able to keep up with my special friend, Kirsty, by reading this webpage every week all the way across the world. xoxoxo

    * That I have so many things to be thankful to God for that I could sit here all day and keep on adding!! - Pamela Freidig - What a nice way to make you feel all happy inside!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey readers...please comment...let's see if we can get the occasional conversation happening:)